Yes. No. Ok. Monday. Yea. You get the picture.
When we answer anyone, let alone a customer, client, friend, family member, coworker, one-word answers are perceived as cold and rude. It’s that simple.
If you’re reading this I am going assume you went to 3rd grade and I believe that’s just about where we learn “3 words make a sentence”. Answering with only one word probably won’t get you a RED X or cancel an order – but it makes people feel cheated.
I know, I know, “well, Nancy, everyone does it. Well, as my Dad used to say to me when I told him “everyone does it (whatever “it” was) His standard answer to me was “well, Nancy if everyone was going to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge would you?”
Let everyone else use one-word answers; but love to have all who care – start saying, “Yes, I will”. Or “Your order will arrive Monday” . Or “Ok, that’s something we can do”.
Watch our one minute video One Word answers and see if this all doesn’t make good sense to you.
Thank you! (that’s 2 words)
Latest posts by Nancy Friedman, The Telephone Doctor (see all)
- Take the Test – Are you Passive, Average or Proactive? - March 21, 2018
- How Do I Answer a Business call? - March 14, 2018
- Things NOT to Say to a Customer - February 27, 2018
- 6 Tried & True Listening Tips - February 21, 2018
- Ineffective Email Words & Phrases – Are You Guilty? - February 14, 2018