Yes. No. Ok. Monday. Yea. You get the picture.
When we answer anyone, let alone a customer, client, friend, family member, coworker, one-word answers are perceived as cold and rude. It’s that simple.
If you’re reading this I am going assume you went to 3rd grade and I believe that’s just about where we learn “3 words make a sentence”. Answering with only one word probably won’t get you a RED X or cancel an order – but it makes people feel cheated.
I know, I know, “well, Nancy, everyone does it. Well, as my Dad used to say to me when I told him “everyone does it (whatever “it” was) His standard answer to me was “well, Nancy if everyone was going to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge would you?”
Let everyone else use one-word answers; but love to have all who care – start saying, “Yes, I will”. Or “Your order will arrive Monday” . Or “Ok, that’s something we can do”.
Watch our one minute video One Word answers and see if this all doesn’t make good sense to you.
Thank you! (that’s 2 words)
Latest posts by Nancy Friedman, The Telephone Doctor (see all)
- Are You a Double Checker? - July 17, 2019
- Selling to Women For Men AND Women 5 Key strategies - July 10, 2019
- The Art of Giving Directions - July 9, 2019
- Are You Writing Handwritten Thank You Notes After Each Sale? - June 26, 2019
- Email Frustrations - June 18, 2019