Yes. No. Ok. Monday. Yea. You get the picture.
When we answer anyone, let alone a customer, client, friend, family member, coworker, one-word answers are perceived as cold and rude. It’s that simple.
If you’re reading this I am going assume you went to 3rd grade and I believe that’s just about where we learn “3 words make a sentence”. Answering with only one word probably won’t get you a RED X or cancel an order – but it makes people feel cheated.
I know, I know, “well, Nancy, everyone does it. Well, as my Dad used to say to me when I told him “everyone does it (whatever “it” was) His standard answer to me was “well, Nancy if everyone was going to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge would you?”
Let everyone else use one-word answers; but love to have all who care – start saying, “Yes, I will”. Or “Your order will arrive Monday” . Or “Ok, that’s something we can do”.
Watch our one minute video One Word answers and see if this all doesn’t make good sense to you.
Thank you! (that’s 2 words)
Latest posts by Nancy Friedman, The Telephone Doctor (see all)
- A. S. A. P. – How to Handle the Irate Customer - March 11, 2019
- Avoiding Excuses - March 6, 2019
- Are You Positive or Negative? - February 26, 2019
- Boothmanship Customer Service 101 - February 20, 2019
- “How Can I Help You?” Is Not Necessary on Initial Greetings - February 6, 2019