By Nancy Friedman, Keynote/Workshop Customer Service Speaker; President, Telephone Doctor Customer Service Training
HI, HOW ARE YOU?
Looks harmless, right? Yet it’s been labeled “social noise.” Especially to those we don’t know, haven’t met, and may never see again. SEMI-USELESS!
There are dozens of other ways to open and start a conversation in person or on the phone. A few are:
* Nice to hear your voice.
* Good to meet you.
* Glad to talk with you.
* Good to see you.
* Thanks for taking my call.
* You’re looking great.
* Glad to make your acquaintance.
* You sound/look chipper.
* And so many more.
“Hi how are you” can reduce effectiveness, especially on a first-time introduction, call or meeting.
And for people you see every day at work, or all the time elsewhere, it’s ineffective as well. Say something creative, unique.
You pass someone in the hall at work, on the street, wherever. It usually goes like this: “Hi, how are you?” * “Fine, how are you?” * “Fine.”
Done. * Over. * Nothing. * Nada. * SEMI-USELESS.
Use a more original, caring comment. You’ll see a big difference. And so will the other person. Again, it’s not bad – simply ineffective.
Latest posts by Nancy Friedman, The Telephone Doctor (see all)
- Business Friendly Customer Service - November 14, 2018
- Will Your Customer Service Pass or Fail This Holiday? 5 Tips to Help. - November 6, 2018
- Improving Listening Skills - October 30, 2018
- A Great Hiring Tip You Need & May Not Be Using - October 23, 2018
- What is the # 1 TRAIT WANTED IN AN EMPLOYEE BY AN EMPLOYER? - October 23, 2018