By Nancy Friedman, Customer Service Keynote Speaker; President, Telephone Doctor Customer Service Training
DEFINITION: CHANGE; to make different
Why is this word so scary to people?
The word change is a scary word to some employees. It’s about as welcome as getting an electric shock.
Mainly, I believe, it’s because when we hear the word ‘change’ we aren’t sure of what’s going to happen.
* We’ll be making some ‘changes’ around here.
* This company is going through some ‘changes.’
* Even ‘change’ management is scary.
And when I tell my husband, “I’m changing the furniture in the family room” it creates havoc in our house. “Don’t change anything,” he says.
Employees particularly get worried when they hear the word ‘change.’ What if you could make the word better?
We can! Simply replace the word ‘change’ with a more positive, rewarding word – IMPROVEMENT!
* We’ll be making some improvements in this department.
* Our company is going through some improvement.
* Dick, I’m going to make some improvements in the family room.
Who would deny an improvement?
Sound much less scary wouldn’t you say? Try it today. Insert ‘improvement’ when you want to use ‘change’ and see the difference.
Latest posts by Nancy Friedman, The Telephone Doctor (see all)
- Are You a Double Checker? - July 17, 2019
- Selling to Women For Men AND Women 5 Key strategies - July 10, 2019
- The Art of Giving Directions - July 9, 2019
- Are You Writing Handwritten Thank You Notes After Each Sale? - June 26, 2019
- Email Frustrations - June 18, 2019