By Nancy Friedman, Keynote Speaker, Customer Service Expert, President, Telephone Doctor Customer Service Training
ASAP has long been the acronym for “As Soon As Possible” and that, of course, is true in handling a frustrated, irate customer.
However, it’s also an acronym on one of the better ways to ACTUALLY HANDLE the situation. Our 4-point process has helped thousands of companies and folks make the very best of out some most unpleasant circumstances.
Use our ASAP technique to effectively diffuse and handle upset, angry, irate customers:
Apologize and acknowledge
Sympathize and empathize
Prepare to help
Feelings are key. We need to apologize sincerely, immediately, and follow up with action. Insincere responses, such as “Oh, I’m sorry,” won’t help and could even cause additional damage. Imagine you were the customer with that experience and ask yourself how you would want it handled.
Let’s break it down step-by-step. Watch this short video.
Latest posts by Nancy Friedman, The Telephone Doctor (see all)
- A. S. A. P. – How to Handle the Irate Customer - March 11, 2019
- Avoiding Excuses - March 6, 2019
- Are You Positive or Negative? - February 26, 2019
- Boothmanship Customer Service 101 - February 20, 2019
- “How Can I Help You?” Is Not Necessary on Initial Greetings - February 6, 2019